May 2017 7 Home Design and Decor Trends to Avoid
Here are a few design trends one should avoid in putting your home together and allowing your personality to shine through.
- Over coordination: A room that is too coordinated, where every piece is new, store bought and coordinated, lacks inspiration. A home should offer the personal style narrative of the person(s) who live there, and the homeowner’s personality should shine through in the décor choices. Incorporating special items collected in travels or small vintage pieces passed down through generations are two great ways to add personality to your home’s “story.”
- Making small spaces look smaller with items that are reduced in size is a common mistake. For example, a miniature vanity for a narrow bathroom space or a smaller sofa for a small loft space. There are ways to find special pieces that will fit into the smaller room without making it look smaller or working on a well-designed custom solution to make the space look larger and function better.
- Over-accessorizing is another common mistake. Every room should have the space for the eyes to rest, while still emphasizing your personality and showcasing special items.
- Assuming that one style should dictate the décor of the entire home. Many people think that if you purchase a traditional style home, your décor should mirror “traditional” throughout. Mixing it up, contemporary with traditional and maybe even antique pieces makes the overall style interesting.
- Improper placement and/or size of light fixtures. Working with vaulted ceilings and natural light and figuring out the proper placement for light fixtures, as well as the best size for light fixtures, is important.
- Allowing one particular feature in the home take over through its size and/or placement. For example, an accent wall that is too big and pronounced may take over the look of the entire room, so it is important to really consider the entire room when looking to add an accent wall or feature that could be a central focus of a room or home.
- Forgetting to make your home warm and inviting. Especially with the contemporary look, people tend to think that contemporary equals cold and uninviting, while adding texture to walls or windows, and carefully placing special accessories throughout the room or home can personalize it and make it welcoming.
Questions? Let us help you on your next design project! Call (239) 775-4057 or contact us now.